Life Insurance Medical Exam Tips
Watch our short, informative video for some helpful tips on preparing for your life insurance medical exam. Doing well on your life insurance medical exam can help ensure that you get the lowest rates for life insurance coverage.
How to Get the Most Accurate Life Insurance Medical Exam Results
On a scheduled day, many life insurance companies will send a nurse or other medical professional to your home or office to conduct the exam. Whether or not the insurance company provides you with instructions for the life insurance medical exam, the following tips are advisable:
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours prior to the exam.
- Get a good night's sleep before the exam.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, nasal decongestants and pain medications, such as aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen, for at least 12 hours prior to the exam.
- Do not consume caffeine, including coffee, tea and soda, for eight hours before the exam.
- Fast for at least 12 hours prior to the exam, if possible, although drinking water is fine.
- Drink a glass of water one hour before the exam in order to help you provide a urine sample.
- If you are taking drugs prescribed by a doctor, have proof of the prescriptions, such as the pharmacy bottles, available for the examiner to review. Continue taking any prescription medication as directed by your physician.
Wear short sleeves or sleeves that can be rolled up and bring a driver's license or other photo ID to the medical examiner. The life insurance medical exam is paid for by the insurance underwriter. The information is strictly confidential and is only sent to the underwriting insurance carrier you choose to purchase your life insurance policy through.
A medical technician comes to a location of your choice (typically home or office) to collect medical history, height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, collect a urine and a blood sample of less than one ounce using sterile materials and performs an ECG/EKG if necessary. The medical exam usually takes less than 30 minutes.
Following these tips should help an applicant get the most accurate results from the medical exam and ultimately assist the applicant in obtaining affordable life insurance. For term life insurance, get reliable quotes from AIG Direct by filling out the life insurance quote request form on this page.