After you finish your application for life insurance, you'll likely have to take a life insurance medical exam. Preparing for your exam for life insurance is easier with just a few simple tips though.
Simply put, the exam for life insurance portion of the application process is used to determine if you have any health conditions that could affect your rate class (kind of like a health exam for life insurance). It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, and can help you secure a better rate for your life insurance policy.
To make this process as easy as possible, you can choose the date, time and location of your life insurance medical exam (e.g. home or work), and a nurse practitioner will come to you. Here are a few things to keep in mind when preparing for the life insurance medical exam.
The Day Before the Life Insurance Exam
- Your medical history
- Height / Weight
- Blood pressure and pulse
- Life Insurance Blood Test
- Urine Sample
- Avoid alcohol and nicotine, since they can raise blood pressure levels, and also avoid high-cholesterol foods such as red meat
- Avoid over-the-counter medications such as antihistamines and nasal decongestants
- Get a good night's sleep
The Day of the Exam
- Avoid coffee, soda, tea, or any other caffeinated drinks
- Avoid strenuous exercise, since it can raise your blood pressure
- Drink plenty of water before your exam
- Be prepared to show a government-issued photo ID
- Gather the contact information for your physician(s) and the names and dosages for any prescription medications you're taking
- Wear short sleeves or sleeves that can be rolled up so your blood pressure and heart rate can be easily obtained
During The Exam
- The examiner will ask for details regarding your medical history
- The examiner will measure your height, weight, blood pressure and pulse
- The examiner will collect a small blood and urine sample
- You’ll be asked to sign and date any documents needed for the life insurance application
Life Insurance Medical Exam Preparation
Watch our short, informative video for some helpful tips on preparing for your life insurance medical exam. Doing well on your exam can help ensure that you get the lowest rates for life insurance coverage. Once you have watched the video, be sure to download our handy and informative brochure for more easy tips on successfully completing your life insurance medical exam.